Seminars & Colloquia
The Brown Bag series is an opportunity for the campus demography community to present either works in progress or completed works in an informal setting. The lectures are hosted during the school year every Wednesday at noon in the Demography Conference Room.
Fall 2013 Schedule
- September 24: Jennifer Johnson-Hanks (Sociology and Demography, UC Berkeley), Allegiance and Alliance: Low Fertility in the Long Shadow of World War II.
- September 11: Paul Gertler (Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley) Labor Market Returns to Childhood Stimulation: A 20-year Follow up to an Experimental Intervention in Jamaica.
- September 18: John Wilmoth (Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations), Trends in International Migration and the Current Discussion of Migration Issues at the United Nations
- September 25: David Levine (Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley), Present Bias, Liquidity Constraints, Salience, and Transaction Costs in Health Behaviors: What I Learned by Selling Water Filters.
- October 2: Amal Harrati (Demography, UC Berkeley), Genetic Correlates of Risk Aversion.
- October 9: Ronald Lee (Economics and Demography, UC Berkeley), TBA.
- October 16: Reid Hamel (Department of Hunger and Livelihoods, Save the Children USA), Food Security in a Warming World.
- October 23: Joshua Goldstein (Demography, UC Berkeley), TBA
- October 30: Ethan Ligon (Agricultural and Resource Economics, UC Berkeley), TBA.
- November 6: Tim Riffe, TBA.
- November 16: David Harding (Sociology, UC Berkeley), TBA.
- November 20: TBA
- December 4: TBA
Past Brown Bag Seminars can be viewed on the Department of Demography Event Archives.
The BACPOP (Bay Area Colloquium in Population) is a monthly seminar sponsored by the Department of Demography at U.C. Berkeley. Noted demographers and scholars from related fields make up the list of invited speakers to this seminar series, which brings together specialists interested in demography from the entire Bay Area, including Stanford University and U.C. Davis. The seminar takes place the first Thursday of each month at 4:15 during the school year. After the presentations, those interested generally continue discussions over dinner at a nearby restaurant. Please confirm your attendance at the seminar and the dinner by e-mailing Monique Verrier.
If you would like to make a presentation at BACPOP please contact Ken Wachter.
Fall 2013 schedule
- September 5, 2013: Daniel Schneider (Sociology, UCB) and Kristin Turney (Sociology, UC Irvine), Incarceration and Household Wealth.
- October 3, 2013: Meredith Reiches (U. of Massachussets, Boston), Adolescent Energy: Ramadan in the Gambia as a Natural Experiment.
- October 30, 2013, NOTE SPECIAL TUESDAY MEETING!: Simon Szreter (History and Public Policy, Cambridge University). Title TBA.
- December 7, 2013: Will Dow (School of Public Health, UCB), Why is Costa Rican Life Expectancy so High?
Location: The Lipman Room, 8th floor, Barrows Hall
Past BACPOP Seminars can be viewed on the Department of Demography Event Archives.